Victory for Varsity Girls Cross Country

On September 26th, the West High Cross Country Varsity girls won first place with a spectacular performance at the Bob Firman Invitational in Boise, Idaho. This was a 5k race on a diverse course over grass, sand, and dirt terrains. The race consisted of 27 teams with a total of 170 athletes from different schools. Seven Varsity girls from West High had participated in Division 1 of the race.

One notable athlete is Laura Ettlin, a senior in her third year of cross country.  Throughout the entire race, she concentrated on how to bring her team to victory. “I was focusing on what place I was in to ensure our team won,” said Ettlin. She also commented that this was probably the most exciting race that she had ever competed in.

Coach Green believes that the girls performed outstandingly. The fact that they had to run the day before this race is also an indicator to how much effort the athletes had put into this competition. She also remarked that this team may be one of the best teams that she has coached. She has great expectations for the rest of the season and is confident that they will be able to place top five in the CIF and even make it to state.

The Girls Cross Country team has shown grand achievement through this race. Good job, girls!