Have you registered or pre-registered to vote?

In a surprising move to many, West Capitaneus, the school yearbook publication, will be discontinuing the popular, longstanding tradition of senior quotes. Citing logistical concerns, the West High administration has maintained this restriction, prompting petition by nearly a quarter of the student body.
Say Goodbye to Senior Quotes
Cyrilla Zhang, Editor-in-Chief • March 21, 2024
Thursday, Oct. 5’s theme was Mathletes or Athletes, where students choose to dress up as one of the two subjects. Students in Mr. Collin’s AP Biology class sported their unique choices of attire. From left to right: Leah Ho (11), Gabriel White (11), and Mackenzie Ashford (11).
Get Ready for Some School Spirit!
Joshua Lee, Staff Writer • March 21, 2024

Warriors Eradicate Eagles

At the home football game on September 11th, the West High Warriors defeated the El Segundo Eagles with 14-7 following Dan Henggeler (12)’s touchdown in the last quarter. With less than two minutes left of the game, Henggeler, who also scored the first touchdown, broke the 7-7 tie, ensuring the Warriors’ win. The Eagles initially led with 7-0 but were unsuccessful in scoring in the second half because of West’s strong defense.

The Warriors did not score in the first half but ultimately delivered an exceptional performance; the team finally scored its first points during the second half. Both offense and defense were noticeably stronger in the third quarter as West scored a touchdown while El Segundo failed to even score a first down (when offense advances the ball at least 10 yards). El Segundo’s weakened offense as well as the 7-7 tie encouraged the Warriors with optimistic attitudes as they realized that they could defeat the Eagles.

The team trained continuously since the football season ended last year, and is continuing to practice daily from two to five o’clock. “This summer, we even trained from one to eight o’clock during Hell Week,” said Kyle Slowey (12). In order to strengthen their physiques and hone their skills, the players constantly run and lift weights. The team tells Smoke Signals that its members are currently in better shape than they were during last year’s season, which contributed to the success of Friday’s game.

Also, the players have noted that the key difference between last year and this year’s team is unity. Teamwork was another key factor during Friday’s game, and will be important again in the upcoming football games, especially against Mira Costa which is West’s main competitor. “Mira Costa is our biggest rival because they made it to the CIF Championships last year,” said Henggeler. The team hopes to rebound from last year’s losing season by defeating Mira Costa and proving its capability once again.

Friday’s winning game was also special in that it was the first to be played on the new field and, to celebrate, a ribbon-cutting took place before the game. A September 11th tribute followed as both West and El Segundo players faced the American flag while linking arms. Half-time performers included the marching band, Drill Team, and Tall Flags. Following a 1970’s theme, the band, under Drum Major Julie Wang (12), played two upbeat and exciting pieces: “Let’s Groove” and “Jungle Boogie.” Overall, the game and the half-time show were enjoyable for everyone, as it was evident in the faces of the crowd.