Keeping the Love Out

Rocking the matches, and keeping the love (a score of zero) out, the Girls’ Tennis team has made West High School proud again! Both the Varisty and Junior Varsity, coached by Ms. Yoo, competed intensely and made sure that only their best was presented onto the court.

Saturday, September 12, 2009, the girls competed in the First Serve Tournament in which the West High girls came in 3rd place. Competing against Archer High, Long Beach Cabrillo High, North High, and many others, the girls had to be determined and focused. Emily Fang (11) said, “We usually practice for two hours after school starting with serves and then actually playing games.” With a rigorous amount of time being invested into working out and practicing, Fang had won all her matches. On September 14, 2009, the girls had another match against Mayfair High School and once again, Fang had won a glorious match with scores of 6-2, 6-0, 6-0.

Another player on the team, Kristine Kouyoumjian (11), is officially a ranked player and thus could not compete in the First Serve Tournament, but continued to support the girls on her team. Kouyoumjian said, “I hit with many different people and also do a lot of conditioning.” To perfect her game, Kouyoumjian has four to five hours of practice every day.

The girls will continue to play passionately at their games against Chadwick (September 15th), El Segundo (September 16th), CAMS (September 21st), and many other schools.

With all the hard work that the girls put in, their 3rd place at the First Serve Tournament was clearly deserved. Good job, girls!