The Cons of Students Partaking in Social Networking

In this era, many people have made the decision to make either a Facebook or a Twitter account. In previous times, having an AIM was considered very up-to-date and popular. However over time, other websites such as Tumblr, a blogging site where members share events in their lives, and it seems each day, there are new members of these various websites. Though it may provide entertainment to these viewers or whether it allows students to help each other with their homework, there are many problems, negative issues as to why social networking is not beneficial.

Joseph Cheng (11) believes that social networking is not helpful for students because “identities can be stolen very easily.” According to newsok.com, about 11.7 million people have been affected by identity theft and just last year on July 28th and over 100 million Facebook profiles were downloadable onto torrent websites. Cheng also offered an example of how social networking can be used by someone to “make you believe that he or she is your friend.” This trickery is one example of how identity theft can occur.

Sam Rushing (11) agrees with Cheng and stated that a major problem with social networking is that “it gives away your personal information.” Rushing mentions that these “arguments happen [on Facebook] which hurt friendships and it is made public also.” Like Cheng, Rushing shares the belief that one’s identity and reputation can be hurt by this.

Though many waste their time on one of these networks, it is important to also know the risks that come with it and to always be wary of possible problems that may develop as a result from social networking.