WHEU Hosts Annual Christmas Tree Lot

Christmas trees sold by the West High Entertainment Unit ranged from four to eight feet tall and were typically in the price range of $65 to $120.
Art/Photo by John Kim

With the holidays fast approaching, a key part of many families’ celebrations involves a Christmas tree. Although there are several places selling them, such as Home Depot or other local tree lots, one of them was in West’s very own backyard, or rather, parking lot, hosted by the West High Entertainment Unit. 

The tree lot began selling on Nov. 28, and ran for a little over two weeks to Dec. 17. The lot was a huge success, almost completely selling out all 285 trees they initially began with. Running from 3 to 8 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekends, the tree lot was mostly managed by WHEU parents and students involved in the program who signed up for three-hour session shifts. Students watered the trees, tied them to customers’ car roofs, and assisted customers in any other way they could. 

Although the Christmas Tree Lot is a yearly tradition for the Entertainment Unit, this year’s tree lot was slightly different from previous years. In addition to merely helping with the actual selling, band students also performed several Christmas carols for customers – each night with a different section performing. Mr. Banim, the band director, commented that although the addition of live music this year might not have necessarily helped improve sales, the atmosphere was significantly more cheery:  “Having the kids [there] means it means something to them.” Banim explained that the profit made from the tree lot is one of their two biggest fundraisers and significantly helps cover the cost of running the program. 

In addition to just being an important fundraiser for the entertainment unit, the Christmas tree lot was also an enjoyable way for some of the band members to spend time together, despite the long, tiring shifts. Naomi Yoshikawa (12), who has been a part of band all four years of her high school experience, noted that her shift was enjoyable because “ [it was] something you [got] to do with your friends.” Yoshikawa explained that when they weren’t busy helping customers, shifts mostly consisted of “messing around [and] listening to Christmas music. . .  [it was] just a fun place to hang out.”

Although the tree lot is closed for business by now, there’s no doubt it will be back next year. So, if you’re looking for somewhere to buy your Christmas tree while also supporting West High, look no further than the student parking lot!