Don’t Dilly Dally, Head to the Hoco Rally!

Westin the Warrior is more than ready to take on the next game. As the music played, the freshman section showed their full support of their favorite “senior” in the game of musical chairs. But only one could win!
Art/Photo by Christian Robledo
Cameron Merendo (11) as well as the rest of the WDAAM team show off their moves at the rally. A variety of performances and a multitude of fun, the rally had it all. Thanks to performers like these, our student body can enjoy the time we share. Photo by Christian Robledo.

On Friday, October 6, West High held its annual Homecoming Rally of the 2023 – 2024 school year. 

Leading up to the rally there was a Spirit Week where every day we had a fun new theme created by an ASB team led by our spirit director Cameron Merendo (11). Besides the creative themes like “Mathletes vs. Athletes” and “Jersey Day,” Merendo shared that Spirit Weeks also “help people know when there is a rally.” Merendo also shared her reasons for loving Spirit Weeks. She exclaimed, “My mom would always make me costumes and I think that’s got me into spirit. My mom was super into it and I just followed her.” Merendo really puts her all into the Spirit Weeks and they show. Thanks to her ideas, we can be pumped up and ready for the rally ahead.

Now, moving on to the rally itself there were many things to be excited about. As freshman co-president Dene Martinez (9) told us, many looked forward to the “drop-down posters . . . and ‘Go Freshman’ posters for the Class of 2027.” Though there were other class posters, Martinez shared this to show his own class spirit as well as comment on how much decoration ASB puts into the rallies. To be sure, rallies aren’t just for show. Sophomore co-president Chelsea Lee (10) mentioned, “Students should be excited about rallies because it’s such a great way for students to engage and get more involved in the school. It connects them more to the school and the community. Also, it is a good way to . . . have fun while getting away from class.”

Some information that came from this rally was the homecoming dance theme and the Homecoming Top 15. First, through an elaborate and beautiful video, we were introduced to the Tim Burton-inspired Homecoming theme titled “A Midnight Waltz.”As the Corpse Bride graced the screen, the crowd cheered for the theme. It will definitely be a night to remember. Next, as the lights rose and people were called to the floor, we were introduced to the 2023-2024 Top 15 Court for Homecoming King and Queen. As the seniors walked down one by one, the crowds cheered in anticipation. Finally, we ended the rally with our traditional singing of the alma mater. 

As an attendee of the rally, Harini Girish (11) said “This rally was more fun than the previous few. I think the game and the performances . . . [were] nice.” But to make things even better, one of our ASB leaders Sadie Hopkins (12) had some advice to share. She observed that “I think every class just needs to get loud. A lot more standing up at the rallies, just having fun in their section. This rally was a good example of how to keep doing better.”  So remember, to  scream and jump at the next rally to really boost our school spirit. As Mrs. Eriksen says, let’s keep our “adrenaline going all the time.”