The National Honor Society provides help in many AP exams. Tutors were assigned to one subject to improve their tutees experience, providing advice based on previous experience in each class. “I recommend coming to these AP cram sessions because you can receive help from students who have previously and recently taken the test,” NHS board member Katie Ho (12) explained.
Time to Cram!
Katelyn Baba, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024

Cruisin’ For A Bruis- No, Wait, It’s The Cruisin’ Cafe!

Art/Photo by Amrynn Gordon
As West makes its way into the 2023-2024 school year, students take advantage of the new Cruisin’ Cafe, which can typically be found every day at lunch and nutrition, parked in the walkway between buildings 3 and 4, serving sandwiches, chips, and more!

Every day at lunch and nutrition, parked somewhere between buildings 3 and 4, you’ll find West’s newest addition to campus: The Cruisin’ Cafe. With its colorful blue and white paint job,  a surfboard attached to its side, and the long line of students that typically follow — it’s hard to miss. 

While Cafeterias 4 and 5 used to be the only places to get lunch, serving both hot and cold meals, this new addition offers means of separating the two and potentially cutting wait time in half. 

The Cruisin’ Cafe is a mobile electric vehicle that you can often spot driving about campus or preparing for the rush of students in the minutes before the bell rings.

Principal Mrs. Murata explained that West is actually the first school in TUSD to receive a Cruisin’ Cafe truck,  courtesy of the district’s Nutrition Services Department. She elaborated upon its purpose, saying, “it’s intended to kind of diversify the options we have available” by offering specifically refrigerated foods such as cold sandwiches and drinks, and going wherever it is needed most. Responsible for storing and handing out the cold food options offered at Cafeterias 4 and 5, the Cruisin’ Cafe draws quite the crowd, with many students rushing from class to beat the line. 

Sasha Rogala (12), who has visited the Cruisin’ Cafe on occasion, remarked: “The fact it’s a food truck adds something new and interesting to campus. . . it caters to people who don’t eat near the normal lunch lines.” Murata also remarked upon the vehicle’s efficiency: “The thing that’s been really nice about it is it’s cut down our lunch lines. . . because it’s given us one more point of sale.” In addition to offering students a faster means of getting lunch, the Cruisin’ Cafe’s mobility gives it the ability to travel to any part of campus where it is needed. Students who eat in areas that are not within striking distance of those two options now have a third.