We Love Our Teachers!

As teacher appreciation week is underway, students are seen showing their love and appreciation for all teachers. With everyone back in school this year, we are able to show how much we really appreciate our teachers by giving gifts, cards, signs, etc. Student Gaby Nieraeth (11) shared her thoughts on the amount of appreciation teachers get, explaining, “I think teachers definitely do not get enough credit for everything they do.”

Art/Photo by Christopher Huston

Luciana Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Teachers are often overlooked or taken for granted. To make sure these hardworking and beloved individuals are recognized for their positive impact on campus, West High hosted Teacher Appreciation Week from April 25 through 29.    

West High staff had several events planned for teachers. They asked students to write cards with special messages for their teachers which were put in each classroom as a little gift from their students. Aside from that, the PTSA planned a luncheon to celebrate teachers and all they do for the students and the school. 

Teachers are a vital part of any student’s life. Often overlooked, their skills help us grow and improve as students. “Mrs. Cerda, my history teacher, has helped me develop not only my history knowledge but also my critical thinking skills,” Gaby Nieraeth (11) expressed. Not only do they share their knowledge on a certain subject but they impart their life knowledge to us. Believe it or not, showing gratitude towards teachers can be as simple as being polite and respectful. 

Times have been tough, but our teachers are tougher. From Zoom calls, emails, and workshops, teachers do it all for the students they encounter each year. It takes hard work to make a teacher, but it takes heart work to make a good teacher. 

“I try to work hard in their classes and show my gratitude for their teaching,” Taeyi Ko (10) commented. Besides academics, Ko explained how Mrs. Kim, her chemistry teacher, has been there for her with life advice too. Her conversations with Mrs. Kim led her to explore new perspectives, and she encouraged her to work harder. Teachers serve as mentors in and outside of school for so many students. And for that, it is nice to let them know every once in a while that their guidance is not overlooked. Teachers expressed that the cards they received from students felt like rewards for their hard work. “It feels great to be appreciated by students . . . teaching kids is very unpredictable but it lets you see things from their perspective,” math teacher Mr. Jin said. 

Even though Teacher Appreciation Week is over, continue to thank them and let them know that their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.