The Speech and Debate Showcase: Empowering Your Voice!

Rithika Yalla (10) performs an Oratorical Interpretation (OI), a 10-minute speech written and published by another person but interpreted by the competitor in a unique style. In her piece, Yalla expressed her ideas on racial biases people face.

Art/Photo by Anika Agarwal

Anika Agarwal, Staff Writer, Staff Photographer

On February 18, in the Performing Arts Center, speakers and debaters dressed up in their suits to showcase the power of the microphone they held. West High’s Speech and Debate members were encouraged to demonstrate their growth through the program. 

Among many parents of the performers was the parent of Rithika Yalla (10), Mr. Basanth Yalla, who said he was happy to watch his child perform. He explained that during his childhood, he wasn’t given this opportunity that his daughter now has. Fortunately, because competitions went online during the school shutdown, he “got a chance to see how she performs, the way she has developed her speaking and her confidence.” That’s what the Speech and Debate program is all about: giving students a new chance to improve their speaking skills and express their opinions.

One of the head captains, Shrutika Ezhil (12), expressed, “I realized how powerful any speech, any piece, any performance can be. Speech and Debate has taught me the power one person can have, and that what anyone has to say is important.” Speech and Debate is special as a program that pushes its members to research and advocate issues they connect with.

Performing for the first time on stage for the showcase, Nipunika Bandara (11) shared that the showcase was “very interesting and different from when we compete online because there was a larger audience.” Facing a live audience motivated many speakers to express themselves through the art of speaking.

In fact, learning to express reasoning extends to other subjects, as explained by Mrs. Wade, an algebra and calculus teacher at West: “I do listen to students defend their work, and so having that ability to eloquently explain your thought process” relates closely to what is displayed in Speech and Debate. Even if you aren’t looking to voice your thoughts about climate change or abortion laws or international crises, clarity is a skill required in almost every area. AP Government & Macroeconomics teacher Mr. Hettinger speculated, “Sometimes, the topics relate to what we do in class, and sometimes the reasoning that goes into [Speech and Debate] is definitely something students on an AP Exam need to show.” 

An alumnus of the Speech and Debate team, who was a member for three years, Aleeza Adnan was reminded of “how many talented people there are and how hard and important the skill is despite not being in [speech and] debate anymore. Being two years out of it, I still use that skill every day in my life.” Communication doesn’t stop at graduation. Whether in college or at work, the importance of communicating with fellow classmates or colleagues increases. Clear speech and argumentation skills will equip the next generation.

Some incoming freshmen reflected on the relevance of such a program in their lives. Samer Ahmed (8) shared that since her sister was part of this program, “I got really inspired by her. I really want to join Speech and Debate to pursue my dreams of becoming a lawyer.” 

Not to forget the program’s full name―Speech and Debate. One Speech and Debate member who prefers debates to speeches, Rugved Patil (9), specified that Congressional debates or other debate events can’t be replicated or scripted perfectly for the purpose of a showcase. However, formats such as Public Forum do have legislative resolutions (topics) that require debaters to come up with contentions (points) and support their ideas with evidence while coming up with a (debate) case. Through debating these topics, he “feel[s] more knowledgeable.” 

With lots of entertainment and “some hard but some fun” topics, as Mrs. Wade expressed, Speech and Debate members were given a chance to express their growth through this year of the program.