Assembling as West Warriors

Ashley Kim, Editor-in-Chief

From band to drill performances, West High rally’s are truly an event to look forward to. On the first Friday of the school year, students and faculty gathered at West’s annual Welcome Back Assembly to celebrate the start of the school year, uniting the body again as West Warriors. Along with performances from band and color guard, advanced dance, and cheerleading, this year’s ASB officers and fall season sports were introduced.

Friday’s assembly was unique since students were encouraged to wear West colors instead of class colors in an effort to unite the school as one before dividing the student body into classes.  “We are all one school with school colors and mixed grades,” Meileen Taw (10), sophomore class president, said.  “I think it’s a good thing to have to start off the school year spirited.”

The assembly’s performances started with choir performing the National Anthem, followed by the West High Entertainment Unit, comprised of band and color guard.  As always, our school’s band and color guard performed with vigor and an award-winning quality. The Advanced Dance team performed for the first time this year at school with a jazz piece, showcasing the choreography they learned during the summer.  The last performance was by cheerleading, who closed with a sharp series of lifts and dance moves.

One audience member, Mariam Rizkalla (11), commented, “The dance team and the marching band put forth amazing effort and I highly enjoyed their performances…Credit also ought to be given to the choir for their beautiful voices!”

Organized by ASB, the event required the joint efforts of many people as well as preparation in many other aspects.  Speakers such as Mia Hasenmayer (12), secretary of spirit; Jordan Yee (12), ASB president; and Jordyn Morimoto (12), senior vice president, had to create and rehearse scripts.  Additionally, Taw mentioned that the event required “posters for each club and Instagram posters for each class…we had to decorate the stadium with streamers and balloons.”

All in all, the Welcome Back assembly provided a chance for the school to come together as one.  Before dividing students into classes, the assembly reminded us all that we are first Warriors. Although coming back to school is a bittersweet time, Friday’s assembly promised a year of school spirit for West High.