Innovating Since Day One

Gillian Navarro, Staff Writer

If you are interested in buying the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but you don’t have enough cash, try selling your old iPhone!

The first Apple iPhone that came out on June 29, 2007, could now be considered a collector’s item. According to Time, the first generation iPhone had two models in 4GB and 8GB that cost roughly about $500 to $600 dollars. Now, according to businessinsider.com, some are being sold on eBay for at least $1,000. The latest versions of the iPhone, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus, will be released on September 19, 2014, just seven years later from the original.

The smart phone has seen many upgrades over the past seven years. The original iPhone was hyped around its never-before seen “pinch to zoom” feature. Now, the newest feature for the iPhone is Touch ID which lets you unlock your phone with just a light touch of a finger. The original iPhone also came out with the visual voicemail, being able to view who called and how long the messages were, when now people are using Facetime to talk to friends and family through mobile video chat. In addition to the updates, the phone has gotten bigger and thinner. The original iPhone was 4.5 inches and the iPhone 6 plus is 5.5 inches, making it the biggest iPhone yet.

Sarah Muniz (10) said, “I think it’s pretty cool but I feel like I don’t want to carry around an iPad or mini computer in my pocket.”

The iPhone 6 features an eight megapixel focus, faster focus, exposure control, stabilization gyroscope, and time lapse.

Ronan Todd (12), a windows user, said, “they could have made it so much better”, going on about the camera quality he adds “only an 8 megapixel camera? Like come on, at least go double digits.”

It took 74 days for Apple to sell one million iPhones seven years ago and now four million iPhones have been pre-ordered in the first 24 hours. According to arstechnica.com, 56% of Americans own an iPhone. Fellow West High student Alanna Bledman (11) is not caught on by the iPhone trend. Bledman said “as an Android user, I strongly believe that all iPhones have to offer is hype, every Apple product that comes out is the same and are not even that great in quality.”

The new smart phones will be sold in three colors, silver, gold, and black with an HD retina display and a new feature where you could make payments with your phone called Apple Pay. Apple Pay makes it simpler to purchase items with just your fingerprint using the Touch ID. Apple Pay is available in the US in October 2014. From the ‘pinch to zoom’ feature to the Touch ID feature, Apple has come a long way in seven years.