Mrs. Metz: On the Road to Transition

When the month of August rolls along, it could only mean one thing: Summer is almost over. From tanning on the beach to setting out on family adventures, most students dread the return to school in September. It means homework, tests, and cramming until 3 am to study for finals. But this time, as students prepare for the upcoming school year, an exciting surprise lurks around the corner. West High has a new principal!

No one expected last year to be Mr. Egan’s final year as principal. However, after serving these past 6 years as West High’s principal, he accepted a new position with Torrance Unified School District as the TUSD Director of State and Federal Projects. In his announcement to the WHS family, Mr. Egan stated, “I am thrilled for the opportunity to work at the district level and have big plans for making a positive impact at all 33 TUSD schools.”

His empty chair has been given to Mrs. Metz who has faithfully served as vice principal for these past years. In a letter she sent out to the administration and staff of West High, she said, “I am eager to begin my work as your new West High principal.” Mrs. Metz is ready to embark on her journey as the new warrior leader. After being approved by the TUSD Board of Education on July 22, Mrs. Metz is prepared for the challenges that lie ahead. As she plans for the future, Mrs. Metz is “confident that the excellence demonstrated by the West High community will carry us to an even greater level of achievement.” While the transition to Common Core Standards begins, the West High administration stands behind Mrs. Metz as they continue the “pursuit of excellence” to make West High history.

Summer nights slowly but surely fade their way into fall, and school begins its descent back into students’ lives. Although the transition from Summer to school may be difficult for some, this year is going to be filled with surprises, learning, and new experiences for all.