Super Tuesday Shakes Up GOP

To decide the nation’s GOP contestant to run against Obama in the 2012 presidential elections, the four front runners of the Grand Olé Party fired ahead in the polls late Tuesday night. Whoever came out top in this stage of the game would, most likely, have a significant chance of becoming the GOP nominee. But, as the race continued, the waters became muddy and no clear winner seemed to emerge. 

Mitt Romney, long time front runner of the GOP primaries, made significant gains. He won Massachusetts, Virginia, and Vermont as the race continued and split Ohio between himself and Rick Santorum. However these gains, though, they weren’t enough to secure his nomination for the presidency. By losing Ohio, the ‘jewel’ of the day, boosted Rick Santorum, who also won the southern states of Tennessee and Oklahoma. In addition, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich won Georgia, a state he represented for many years. And all three fought over the Rust Belt states, states hit hardest by the economy. Citing current economic woes and past personal successes in their own political careers, the main talking point in their speeches were about the economy Romney created a new catch phrase, and Santorum toured several Pennsylvanian to promise economic recovery to workers in factories. And, finally, Ron Paul, the GOP’s most radical and independent runners, fought for the northern states ofIdaho, Alaska, or North Dakota to secure some delegates. Though he has consistently failed to secure any major wins in the race so far, it is also true that he has many supporter. Unfortunately, it could be said that the young voters who could potentially turn the tide for the libertarian candidate could only support him in words, not in votes.

The GOP candidacy, whether it be cast in votes or fought for in the Super PACs of the tele-political debates, will be decided by the creation of this Super PACs. With each candidate showing no signs of quitting, it seems that getting the Republican nomination will come down to the last days of campaigning on the trail, and when the Republicans meet at the Republican National Convention to stand by the man who will run for president.