Making A Statement With Mock Trial

Making A Statement With Mock Trial

Alexssa Takeda, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Are you still figuring out what clubs you want join this year? Maybe you are a freshman who is overwhelmed with all the options and do not know where to start. Or maybe you are an upperclassman who wants to try something new for a change. 

If you are looking for something fun, casual, and spontaneous you should consider joining Mock Trial Club.  

Mock Trial is a club on campus that was founded just a few years ago in late 2018. Inspired by a high school program hosted by the YMCA called Model Legislature & Court, club secretary Connie Lee (12) said, “Ashley Cho [Club President] said it would be a cool idea to bring a Mock Trial to our campus. Especially because speech and debate is a zero period.” 

Lee went on to explain that students who are in other zero-period classes such as marching band or drill, would not be able to attend speech and debate. She added, “It would be nice to make a club that’s focused around similar things to debate but is a little more casual.”

Whether you are planning on going into law in the future or are merely curious about how the justice system works and want to experience it firsthand, you should consider stopping by. 

In Mock Trial, students can learn the ins and outs of the courtroom with a variety of different activities such as how to form compelling speeches or ways of conducting questioning across the examination. 

One of the most anticipated activities is being able to participate in a mock trial where members can act as lawyers or witnesses, carefully working to put together their case in a hands-on experience. 

“The mock trial that we do is probably the most fun because everyone gets to play a role in it,” club publicist Julia Traub (12) explained. “It’s interesting to see the way that the trial unfolds because while there is preparation for it, there’s an element of spontaneity too.”                

During these days, the club even encourages students who are not part of the club to come to spectate and be part of the jury.

Interested? Follow Mock Trial on Instagram @westmocktrial for more information and updates about the club. Meetings are held every Wednesday, except the first of the month, at lunch in room 4100 (Ms. Kim’s room). 

As Traub said, “This is something that anyone who is interested should do because it’s a fun way to learn something new!”