Things You’re Most Likely Doing Instead of Homework

Alexssa Takeda, Co-Editor-in-Chief

It’s October, which means that we just made it through our first month of school. Even though the school year has just begun, many of us have already fallen victim to procrastination and laziness.

We started off the school year with good intentions, with resolutions such as doing our math homework as soon as we got home from school, reading ahead for English or studying for tests a week in advance. But we knew we would eventually fall.

Here are the things you’re most likely doing in attempts to avoid doing your homework:

1. WATCHING YOUTUBE – We all know the endless rabbit hole of Youtube videos we admittedly fall down way too often. We can go from vlogs, to vine compilations, to the weird side of Youtube. It has that way of sucking you in so don’t realize that you have wasted the last 2 hours watching video after video.
  2. SCROLLING THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA – Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, and even TikTok. We embarrassingly spend a lot of time scrolling through post after post, sometimes for hours.
  3. TAKING NAPSLots of naps. Since starting school, it seems that a lot of students can’t catch enough sleep. Sleep deprivation has become a staple of the student lifestyle, so using the time to catch up can’t be that bad, right?
  4. HANGING WITH FRIENDS – For many students, there isn’t enough time during the school day to catch up with friends. Some of the best places to hang out are at football games, Del Amo Mall, or the movies.
  5. WATCHING NETFLIX – Whether you like Stranger Things or The Office, Netflix always has something for everyone. And you can watch all of it without a single commercial break! It’s one of the best ways to binge-watch your favorite shows.
  6. EATING – Having a snack or meal is always a great way to pass some time. Bonus points if you cooked it yourself.
  7. PLANNING TO STUDY – Everyone does it. Most of the time when we should be studying, we spend time planning on it instead. Creating lists after lists, figuring out assignments you should start with first. Or maybe you create beautiful bullet journal spreads that perfectly illustrate your week. But how long do you spend before you actually study?
  8. CLEANING – Regardless of whether you like it or not, sometimes the need to do something other than homework is so strong that we resort to cleaning. At least you’ll finally be granting your parents’ wishes of a clean bedroom.
  9. MEMES – It could be creating them, mindlessly scrolling, searching for that perfect one, or showing the funniest ones to your friend. Memes are the best and you can easily get lost in their bizarre world.
  10. READING SCHOOL ARTICLES – If you’re reading this article, you’re most likely procrastinating. Even though procrastination is a large part of the high school experience, every student has to learn how to effectively manage their time. So if you have homework, go do it. It isn’t going to do itself. Good luck!