Food Finally, It’s Eid

Courtesy of The Indian Express

Aleeza Adnan, News Editor

After a long month of waking up to eat breakfast at 4 am and fasting till almost 8 pm, Muslims are commemorating the end of Ramadan with Eid-ul-Fitr on June 4th, 2019. The holiday was determined by the sighting of the moon and is celebrated twice every year. For Muslims, this means a rejoicement with family, friends, and food.

West High’s Muslim Student Association held a Ramadan and Eid informational workshop before the start of the month explaining the purposes of the two holidays.

Muniza Ahmed (11), the Vice President of MSA, commented, “The meeting was held to inform people about Ramadan so they wouldn’t keep asking us why we can’t eat or drink for the next couple weeks. Many people are unaware that, although fasting is difficult, it’s actually a lot of fun. Even though we get excited for Eid, we’re also sad that Ramadan is ending.”

The holy day begins with everyone getting ready, putting on their best perfume, and greeting other Muslims with the phrase “Eid mubarak” which translates to “happy Eid.” Afterwards, families go to mosques to offer Eid prayer.

By the time the obligatory prayer is over, Muslims eat breakfast, which feels unusual after skipping it for a month. Typically, many adults also hand out Eidi to kids, which is a sum of money they recieve to spend as they wish. There is also a lot of travelling to houses of families and friends.

Jana Abulaban (9) celebrated Eid with her family and said, “It’s probably one of my favorite times of the year. I love the atmosphere that day and greeting other Muslims. Plus, the Eidi is always a nice bonus.”

The day is quite hectic, but an enjoyable one. Eid actually lasts for three days, but the first day is the main one. The next two do not feature any specific traditions as the first does. Living in a non-Muslim country typically also hinders the celebration of Eid on even the first day.

Uzair Pasta (11), a Pakistani-Muslim, comments, “Eid in the United States is not as extravagant as it would be in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, or another Muslim country. In America, we have to excuse ourselves from work and school and often times it can be difficult to do so but in Muslim countries, Eid holidays are always guaranteed.”

Since this holiday occurs twice a year, Eid-ul-Adha will follow next in the summertime. While Eid-ul-Fitr celebrates the end of Ramadan, Eid-ul-Adha focuses on the time Hajj, a holy pilgrimage, takes place. Hajj occurs in Saudi Arabia around the Kaaba. On this Eid, meat from goats is a focus of foods consumed while on Eid-ul-Fitr, sweets and desserts are.

Now Muslims all over the world are going to pick out new clothes, will tend to goats, and pack for Hajj in preparation for Eid-ul-Adha in just a few months. Until then, they can enjoy the pleasure of eating food again after missing out for the past 29 days.