Conquering Change in the May Dance Show

Courtesy of Zoe Jackson

Ashley Kim, Editor-in-Chief

From May 9th to the 11th, West High’s dance department presented their May dance show “Change: Conquer It.”  Dancers from all levels choreographed and prepared for months before the show, culminating in three show nights.

The show continued the January show’s theme of change in “Change: Embrace It.”  This year’s focus of embracing change reflects the many changes that the dance department faced this year, particularly having to do with adjusting to the new performing arts center.  The May show concluded the school year as the last major dance show.

For senior dancers, the show marked the end of a journey with dance, many of which started in beginning dance and grew through the dance department throughout all four years of high school.

Sarah Ng (12), a senior and advanced dancer, said, “My favorite dance to perform was the senior goodbye dance because it was so emotional in the best way.  It’s bittersweet that my seniors and I are moving on but I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.”

Ng is also one of two Artistic Directors for the dance department this year.  She entered beginning dance as a freshman and danced through her whole high school.  “The dance department has really taught me good skills that work outside of the dance room too,” Ng said.  “I’ve learned how to be an effective leader, collaborate with others, and stay grounded when things get difficult.”

However, for others, their time as dancers had just begun and May show was a hint of what may come.  Beginning dances such as “Remember,” “Soldier,” “Bury a Friend,” and “Symphony” served to show just how much they learned since the beginning of the year.  Intermediate dance displayed more advanced technique in a variety of dances, ranging from the dark contemporary “Survivor” to the cheery “No Roots.”

Vanessa Le (9), a beginning dancer who performed for the first time in “Soldier,” commented, “I actually felt [like] a part of the West dance department.  I learned how it feels to be in a team. Doing the May show is by far the best decision I have ever made.”

“Change: Conquer It” ended on Saturday night as dancers from all levels hugged, cried, and danced their hearts out.  It had been a year of change and work; but ultimately, they were united by their love for dance and perseverance.