Meet the President of the Class of 2020

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

The 2019 – 2020 ASB Elections have finally ended. After a close race led to a written ballot, the winner was announced after school on April 26th. Here’s a few quick things you should know about the Class of 2020 Senior Class President, Uzair Pasta (11).

Q: What activities are you involved in at West?

A: The activities that I am involved in include MSA, Student Voice, Mock Trial, and Speech & Debate (in which I am the President, Member at Large, ICC Representative, and varsity member, respectively). Other activities include political activism.

Q: What are your hobbies/passions?

A: My hobbies include reading, writing, traveling, watching inspirational videos only to obsess over how to inspire other people. I know this might be cheesy but my passion is to help people realize what they want to do in life. I want to help alleviate issues that are facing our society whether that issue is environmental, political, financial, etc.

Q: What do you want to do in the future? In college and afterwards?

A: I don’t know exactly what I want to do or which college I want to attend. It is hard to explain but basically I have no idea what direction I want to go only that at the end of the day I want to help other people, and I want to speak and travel. I am planning on taking a gap year before I go to college so that I may travel and learn new things and maybe even find my purpose beyond Torrance, California.

Q: When did you decide that this was the life path you wanted to take? What made you decide?

A: I am actually the most indecisive person in the world, I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with life so I decided to just try everything so that I can find the things I liked and that is when I found public speaking. Honestly I think I always knew that I wanted to help other people and just wanted to make this world a better place. I think most of my developments as a person happened during my time at West since there was so much happening in the world at the time.

Q: What do you think is the most valuable lesson you have learned from your experiences?

A: The most valuable lesson I have learned is that a true leader is one who is willing to listen to every single voice, no matter how loud or how quiet. And that once you learn the stories you will then be able to truly connect with them causing a deeper understanding of the word Humanity to be experienced.

Q: Are there any major role models or inspirational figures that have guided you?

A: Besides my amazing parents and siblings it would have to be people like Malala Yousafzai or Simon Sinek who spend their lives trying to make others’ lives better [and] change the world.

Q: What is one tip/advice you would give to someone who is considering following the same path as yours?

A: To realize [that] they have amazing ideas that need to be heard in the world and that they should never cower away because of others. Never ever take no for an answer. Lastly, try! Do whatever you want, you never know, you might find out that you are really talented, because at the end of the day if you don’t ask, the answer is already no.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: Trying to improve myself as a person, still trying to help others, aspiring to start my own company, and traveling the world speaking in public events (hopefully).

Q: What do you hope to do next year as Senior Class President?

A: The main thing I want to achieve is to give the students at West a reason to come to school. I want to bridge the lack of communication between the students and ASB/Admin. I want students at West to have a great year whether they are seniors or not.

Q: Why did you decide to run for Senior Class President?

A: I always wanted to run for Class President but I was scared of the thought of losing. It was only when the people around me, like my debate team and peers, encouraged and insisted that I should run that I had the confidence to risk it and run.

Q: What are your thoughts/feelings on the re-election?

A: Not going to lie, I was scared and stressed. It was a pretty interesting election, I have to say, I think this might have been the first election that so many people were paying attention to. It was amazing, the amount of participation shown by the 2020 class.

Q: Any words you would like to say to your classmates?

A: I can not guarantee anything other than my utmost devotion. You guys placed your trust in me and I can only return the favor by working twice as hard to give you the senior year we deserve. I will do my best but I still will need your help and your spirit to fuel our last year at West.

The Class of 2020 is thrilled to have Uzair as their Class President. Uzair has proven that you can achieve anything as long as you try hard enough and don’t give up. With all of his passion and interests, there is no doubt that next year will truly be an unforgettable year for all of West.