Meet your 2020 ASB!

Ulia Zaman, Staff Writer

The 2019 ASB elections have just come to a close. Get to know your newly elected officers as they share their plans for next year!

Secretary of Athletics

The Secretary of Athletics for next year is Matthew Ritchey (11), a current junior who is a part of the soccer, track, and cross-country teams. Since he believes taking care of one’s health is extremely important he hopes to study kinesiology or sports medicine in the future.

Matthew shared that he decided to run for this position because he wanted increase awareness for sports and create new ideas for the Olympics. He stated that he plans, “on increasing awareness for sports by creating an Instagram for all sports at West High, including new [games in] the Olympics such as ping pong, increasing participation in the Powder Puff game.”

Secretary of Fine Arts

The Secretary of Fine Arts is Jillian Siazon (10), a current sophomore who is personally involved in the Fine Arts department. Her commitment to Play Production stems from her love of music and performing. She has been doing theater since freshman year and also loves to sing and play the guitar and ukulele.  

Jillian stated, “I chose to run for Secretary of Fine Arts because I’ve always shown appreciation towards all the fine arts at West and I feel that I am a good candidate to represent that. I also think that I can contribute a lot to ASB [with] certain ideas because I love being creative. I would like to focus on representing all fine arts and advertising more events in more creative ways. I think I have a lot to offer and I feel that certain fine arts deserve more attention and I hope to achieve that next year.”

ASB Vice President

The ASB Vice President for next year is Jordyn Morimoto (11). Jordyn is a member of CSF and NHS. She is also on the varsity basketball team.

Being involved in so many activities requires a lot of time and dedication. Jordyn shared her methods of destressing which include hobbies such as snowboarding. She stated, “I’ve been waiting for this for so long and I’m looking forward to a fun ASB group to work with, a new team to play with, and finally starting to de-stress a little after college decisions have been made. As for personal goals, I hope I can have a successful basketball season!”

When asked about what she plans to do while in office she responded, “I want the year to go smoothly, and I plan to assist [the ASB President] the best I can! As VP I hope to run ASB alongside the President with no problems. I am open to new ideas, so I wouldn’t mind trying to plan something different from the usual events we have every year!”

ASB President

The elected ASB President for the 2019-2020 school year is Jordan Yee (11). Jordan is well known amongst his classmates as he is involved in numerous school activities such as ASB, CSF, and NHS. He also plays varsity basketball and volleyball. His hobbies/passions include Pokemon, reading, spending time with friends, and helping other people. While I interviewed him about how it felt to have been chosen by the majority of the student body as ASB President he stated, “I want to say thank you to everyone who has believed in me and supported me throughout these years. Thank you for trusting me with facilitating the school year and activities. And of course I’m open to any and all comments or suggestions.”

In regards to hopes for next year Jordan expressed that “I hope to make next year a memorable one! I would love to see West bring some school spirit back.”

Senior Class Vice President

The 2020 Senior Class Vice President is Casey Umamoto (11). Casey is currently the Secretary of Multimedia and is involved in a number of activities such as Varsity Basketball, Golf, and FCA. In his free time, Casey enjoys hanging out with friends and playing video games.

Casey stated, “my main motivation for running for Senior Vice President was to make sure that I had an influence on the events and ideas that would make my senior year as memorable as possible. I want to make sure we get the most out of our final year of high school together. My goal for next year is to have a very successful Homecoming that will be remembered and cherished by the class of 2020 for years to come. As Senior VP I plan to assist the Senior President and work together to make many events that will allow the class to bond together as well as make many school wide events as good as possible.”

Senior Class President

The two candidates for Senior Class President were Uzair Pasta and Maddie Murata. Due to the surprisingly close vote, it has been decided that there will be a re-election for Senior Class President. This will take place on Tuesday in the form of paper ballots. Stay tuned for an interview with the 2020 Class President next week!