West High’s Got Talent

Talent show participants cheer as first place talent show winner Sarayu Kocharlakota (10) makes her way up to the front to receive her award. West High’s Choir Department hosted the West High’s Got Talent show on Thursday, February 10 in the Performing Arts Center. Kocharlakota shared what singing means to her: “Singing is my stress-buster; It’s the only thing that makes me forget about everything else. It fills me with happiness and helps me connect with people all around.”

Art/Photo by Sullivan Kolakowski

Elise Fauni, Staff Writer

Across the West High Campus are hundreds of talented students. On February 10, 10 students were given the opportunity to show off their talents on stage. Hosted by the West High Choir Department, students put their years of experience in their respective talents to the test for the chance to win the grand prize: $100 in ASB credit. With posters decorating campus, several Instagram posts, and announcements made to different classes, the advertisement of West High’s Got Talent brought in lots of talented performers and an excited crowd.

In January, the contestants were chosen through auditions to perform in the show. In addition to the various performances, Alyssa Reamer (12) and Chloe Thomas (12) hosted the show, keeping the audience laughing. “Hosting the show was so much fun,” Reamer commented. “I loved being able to get on stage and engage with the audience while conversing with my best friend.”

From singing to drawing, a range of talents was  showcased throughout the night. Placing second in the talent show, Akari Nakashima (12) performed an interpretive dance piece about beauty standards, especially those in Asian countries. “My piece was inspired by Japanese artist Chanmina and her experience and journey to what it means to be beautiful,” Nakashima explained. Nakashima has been dancing for two years, and performed a self-choreographed piece, originally performed for South Bay’s Got Talent where she received the Judge’s Favorite Award. Trying out for the talent show wasn’t a huge decision for Nakashima: “Dancing really helped increase my self-confidence and I tried out without thinking too much about it. I was like, ‘I guess I’ll give it a try!’”

Singer Sarayu Kocharlakota (10) won first place. Kocharlakota performed the song “Talking to the Moon” by Bruno Mars. “I wasn’t expecting [to win] but I was really happy and proud of myself,” she shared. Kocharlakota has been singing since age five. “I always enjoy performing whenever I get the chance to, and I felt singing at the school Talent Show was an amazing opportunity for me,” Kocharlakota expressed. “With COVID still being around, I’ve barely gotten opportunities to sing, so I was excited when I heard about the talent show.” Singing is a huge part of Kocharlakota’s life. Last November, ​​Kocharlakota released her first single “Never Did,” and she plans to release her first EP this summer. 

This year’s talent show was certainly a success, and a great opportunity to witness the different talents of the students of West High.