Making Masks At Home

These are a few of the simple, but effective masks Hana Mitzutamari designed to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Picture Courtesy of Hana Mitzutamari.

Alexssa Takeda, Co-Editor-in-Chief

As of Friday, April 10th, public health officials are urging residents to wear face masks when shopping or doing essential activities outside their homes to combat the outbreak of the Coronavirus. This has caused masks to go on high demand as stores begin experiencing shortages. 

But while N95 filtration masks and surgical masks should be left for health care workers, there are many other options. Local companies such as Fernando’s, a custom retail store, are producing their own line of fabric masks to provide and support the fellow people in their community. There are also masks that you can make at home as easy as a bandana and a few rubber bands. Something as simple as a scarf will suffice in the desperate situation we are in. 

But many students such as Hana Mizutamari (9) are taking initiative and creating their own designs. “I ended up making my own pattern. Then I cut some cloth and started sewing,” she explained. Mizutamari had pre-existing experience when it came to sewing, as she was taught when she was young. She’s still had to be resourceful, stating, “After, I noticed that I didn’t have the straps, so I cut off a piece of my old t-shirt and sewed it on to the mask.”

When tighter restrictions began to accumulate, Mitzutamari wasn’t put off by the news. “Many people in different countries wear masks almost every day so it doesn’t feel that weird.” But when she began noticing a lack of masks in stores, she grew increasingly worried. This pushed her to make them herself.

In public settings where social distancing is difficult to upkeep, ensure that you are able to cover up and protect others. Even if someone isn’t experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19, there is a possibility that they are asymptomatic and are unknowingly spreading the virus. Even if it is just a piece of cloth, it can still aid in protecting others.

Stitch one up yourself like Mizutamari by finding a simple sewing pattern online such as this one from So Sew Easy or this easy to follow tutorial from the Joann’s craft team. . If there isn’t a sewing machine at hand, household items such as pillowcases, cotton t-shirts, and towels can be fashioned into coverings. Stay safe!