Boys’ Volleyball Dominates First Game of the Season

Daily Breeze / Robert Casillas

Daily Breeze / Robert Casillas

Ysabella Atehortua, Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday, March 23rd, West High Boys’ Volleyball Team won against North High three games to zero. They won the first match 25 to 15, the second match 25 to 17, and the third match 25-21.

In practice, the team started the season off by working on basic skills then transitioned to game play when the games neared.

Varsity member and setter, Joshua Shaw (11) attributed the win to the fact that they were able to outskill the other team. With the basketball season over, they were also able to get people who play both sports back on the team, also helping the team. Shaw also attributed the win to the spirit throughout the game. He stated, “Whenever we get down, either in points or motivation,  we huddle and say ‘komohana koa’ which means ‘West Warriors’ in Hawaiian– this allows us to refocus our energy and come together as a team.”

The victory was important as it signified how much potential the team has. Varsity Defense Specialist Evan Loh (11) stated, “ I am excited about the win, but have large goals this year to win CIF. Because we are becoming much more serious as a program than we have been in previous years… I think those goals are very attainable.”

Spectator Jordan Yee (9) stated, “Seeing our boys dominate in their first game was really cool. It gives us all a lot of confidence going into the season that they will do well.” Seeing varsity win by such a large margin pushed the younger teams to work harder, and provided role models for them to look up to. Energy was high after the Varsity win led to a Freshman victory, but Junior Varsity still lost.

The Warriors will take on South High this Friday at 3:30 in the gym. For those unable to make their last game, you can support them there.