2014 Football CIF Playoffs: West Advances to the Semifinals

Michael Nishida, Staff Writer

On Friday November 21st, the West High Warriors football team played against the Calabasas Coyotes. This was West’s second game in the CIF Southern Section High School playoffs. The Warriors played on their home field and finished Game 3 with a final score of 52-41. This game was not one-sided and Calabasas came out strong. When asked about the game Ryan Shoda (10) commented,” The team stepped up even when it seemed like there was no hope of winning.” West’s perseverance and determination has played a major role in the team’s outstanding season record of 12-0.

West struggled in the first quarter; scoring only one touchdown compared to Calabasas’ three. West quickly retaliated and scored another touchdown in the second quarter to bring the score to 21-14. Dale Rouse (12) continued the comeback with an interception that led to a touchdown on the ensuing drive.

At the end of the second quarter, starting running back Brett Ojiyi (12) was taken out of the game with a shoulder injury. The game looked grim for West at half time, however, Michael Timmerman (11), the backup running back led the team to a third quarter shutout. Timmerman had a stellar performance with 15 rushes and one touchdown. Michael Houstman (11) commented,” Timmerman had more repetitions than anyone at practice and his hard work paid off today.” The momentum from the third quarter would carry the Warriors to a 52-41 finish.

This win advanced West into the semifinal game, where they will face Palos Verdes High School next Friday. The last time West faced Palos Verdes in the CIF playoffs, PV won during the 2012 CIF championships. The Warriors look to continue their flawless record next week and ultimately, win the championship.