2014 World Cup Draws

Since 2011, countless male athletes from 32 different countries have been rigorously preparing and competing for a position in the 2014 FIFA World Cup tournament, scheduled to take place in Brazil during July of 2014. On December 6, 2013, the final draw for the soccer competition was held at the Costa do Sauipe Resort and resulted in some interesting groups. However, the big question still remains in mystery: which team is worthy of the “Group of Death” title?

USA, one of the successful countries to be qualified for the World Cup, proved that it earned its rightful spot through past successes. The US Men’s National Team hit the record with its third straight Hexagonal and continued to defeat Mexico with a score of  2-0 on September 10. Still refusing to ease off the gas pedal, the team shut out Jamaica on October 11, with a score of 2-0, and Panama with a striking win of 3-2 four days later. This record-setting battle will definitely play a part in the upcoming games.

The team was chosen to be in group G alongside Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. Previously, Ghana beat USA in the two most recent World Cups during the final group stage match and the round just before quarter-finals. USA and Portugal first competed against each other in the 2002 World Cup, where America shockingly won with the score of 3-2. Portugal faced Germany seventeen times, five of which had been in previous World Cups. Germany and Ghana met in the 2010 World Cup with close competition and Portugal and Ghana have never faced each other before. When asked about USA’s chances, Tony Yi (11), a dedicated soccer fan, replied, “Personally, I think USA’s going to struggle a bit here. First of all, they will be playing Germany, which is one of the world’s best soccer teams. Secondly, all these countries went further than US from the last world cup so there surely won’t be any easy advancing in the tournament.” Nevertheless, Yi still has a strong belief that the team has the skill-set to win the competition.

The other groups chosen during the drawings last week were the following:

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon.

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy.

Group E : Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Iran, Nigeria.

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA.

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea.

Bryan Lomeli (11), another fan looking forward to watching the 2014 World Cup, suggested that “Group B, D, or G could be given the title, Group of Death. All of them have at least two countries that are one of the leading soccer teams, but at the same time, they could be leaving, considering who they are going against.”

This build-up to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil may be one of the most gripping competitions yet. On ESPN, Jürgen Klinsmann, a German soccer manager and the current head coach of the US National Team, confidently stated, “It couldn’t get any more difficult or bigger, but that’s what the World Cup is all about. We’re excited…All of the nations in the world, all the big names, they all deserve to be there. If you want to [become] the top 10 in the world [one day], you’ve got to start beating them.” With many promising teams, The 2014 World Cup might be one of the most competitive ones so far.