Goodbye Early Outs, Hello Late Starts

September is the time of year where shopping centers and television commercials are overflowing with Back to School advertisements and sales. Unfortunately, this reminder has approached quicker than most students would have hoped for. After the first week of school, which can be exciting and fresh, students finally begin to familiarize themselves with their schedules and back to school rituals. But this year at West High, there is more than just getting used to the day to day routine. The collaboration schedule has undergone a drastic change. Instead of early-outs, which gave students a break before having to begin homework and athletes leisure time before practices, collaboration is now a late start at 10:20 and leaving at the regular 2:57 time. Having late start once in the entire school year was a privilege and relief for most students, but now it will become “the usual.” The majority of West High students disagree with this year’s collaboration change. Thomas Oh (12) stated, “I believe, that if we start late, we will have less time to rest. If we get out at twelve or one, we have more time to rest.”

On some days, being able to sleep in and start at 10:20 seems like a splendid idea. However,  leaving at the regular 2:57 time gives students the same opportunities to begin school work and extra-curricular activities. After rationalizing about this new change, early outs would give students more time for homework and studying. With late starts, students are given more time to sleep or linger in the mornings, as most teenagers would probably take advantage of. Yes, it may be comfortable and enjoyable, but not very productive. Even more, the majority of students usually create a habit of waking up early and getting ready for the day, as arriving to school later seems almost like a drag. When asked what she thought about the collaboration change, Rachael Edem (12) said, “No, it’s awful but to be serious, getting out early is the better choice.” In agreement with Edem’s statement, Noah Gazan (11) expressed his frustration for the new change when he said, “[I’m] not feeling it.”

Whether students like this change or not, they will soon get used to it. Maybe this change isn’t as bad as most students believe, but it won’t be known until the first collaboration schedule has passed.