Chicago: West High’s Spring Musical

Part of the Chicago crew starts their dance rehearsals. With a great opportunity for all to showcase their artistic skills, the musical has a lot to offer for both performers and viewers. Photo courtesy of Brandon Howard (11).

Anika Agarwal, Staff Writer, Staff Photographer

Costumes adorned by actors and singers aiming for higher notes: West High’s Play Production presents Chicago. No, the crew will not be flying to Chicago to perform there but will perform at West’s Performing Arts Center (PAC). With its opening night scheduled for Thursday, March 24th, this show has lots of entertainment to offer! 

The musical, set in Chicago, is based “in the late 1920s and tells the story of Roxie and Velma,” explained Ms. Orabuena, West High’s Play Production teacher, and director of the show. Roxie and Velma, the two female lead characters, who have been accused of murder, are in a battle for fame in hopes of lessening their sentence.

Ms. Orabuena shared that out of 50 students who auditioned, “30 made it in the show.” One of the leads in the play is Billy Flynn, a lawyer portrayed by Brandon Howard (11). Howard recalled sleeping on a Saturday morning after his audition and receiving an email notification and he thought, “Okay, just open it.” Scanning through the list, he finally caught a glimpse of his name next to Billy Flynn, and “All I can remember is getting up and running and hugging my mom.” Howard’s hard work paid off. 

Nerves are part of any public performance but with the right guidance, Warriors are able to perform their best and showcase their potential. Howard shared that everyonehis peers, his teacher Ms. Orabuena, vocal coach Ms. Lisa, and choreographer Chris Albrecht— created a supportive environment for him and others that allowed him to “wow” the judges. 

Howard described his role as charismatic, flirtatious, and bringing light to all the dirty court cases. He related, “I enjoy being on stage and I feel like Billy is that person who likes being in the spotlight but assisting others to be [in the spotlight as well.]” Billy is trying to gain fame while making his clients, Roxie and Velma, famous, which Howard can relate to when he is supportive of his friends. This allows him to get lost in his role, command the room, and allow the audience to enjoy the performance. 

With vocals, dance, and acting rehearsals ongoing, each student has to put in the time and effort since “Chicago is such a dance-heavy show.” This show, like every other, is giving those who were cast in the show an opportunity “to perform in front of the school,” Ms. Orabuena pointed out. Everyone has come far with their acting skills. With more time being spent on polishing the performances, there is a lot to look forward to with a blast coming your way!