Have you registered or pre-registered to vote?

Thursday, Oct. 5’s theme was Mathletes or Athletes, where students choose to dress up as one of the two subjects. Students in Mr. Collin’s AP Biology class sported their unique choices of attire. From left to right: Leah Ho (11), Gabriel White (11), and Mackenzie Ashford (11).
Get Ready for Some School Spirit!
Joshua Lee, Staff Writer • March 21, 2024

Thanksgiving Traditions

Since the Pilgrims began the Thanksgiving tradition back in 1621, it has become one of the cherished holidays ever since. Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks for what you have, eating more than you normally do, and spending time with your family. It also comes with a variety of cultural traditions.

In the Korean culture, Thanksgiving usually falls somewhere in September or October. Many travel to spend the holiday with their families while some spend their three day break visiting the grave sites of loved ones.

In Ajijic, Mexico, everyone in the family participates in creating a menu for the holiday and prepares tasty dishes. Similar to America’s Thanksgiving traditions, Canada also celebrates the holiday with family gatherings, parades, and feasting.

Not only are there many food traditions, but the sports also play an important role in celebrating this holiday. Torrance commemorates this holiday with the annual 5K Turkey Trot Fun Run.

West’s culturally diverse student body celebrates this holiday in different ways. “My older siblings will come home from college and my Dad’s side of the family will come down. They all bring a different type of side dish, so that when we all gather together, it’s like a big pot luck,” said Rebecca Horton (11) of her family’s gathering.

Coming from a Latin background, Vanessa Pineda (9) said, “We eat, and after my uncles will put on a Spanish soap opera, so we all sit together and watch it.” While some stay home and wait for their family’s arrival, some students will also travel themselves.

Cambria Jones (11) said, “I go to Santa Clarita to my Aunt’s house. My grandma will tell old family stories about when they were younger. My Uncle has to always cut the turkey. Then, after we eat, we all watch a movie together as a family.” Similar to Jones’s traditions, Brian Jeon (11) stated, “Sometimes we’ll go to my cousin’s house and have a special dinner with turkey or ham.”

While students have special traditions that they do with their families, teachers also, practice their own traditions. Spanish three teacher, Ms. Machado said, “We don’t typically celebrate Thanksgiving in Mexico so now that we are in America, I usually get together with family at my Uncle’s house. Everyone will bring a different dish, and sometimes we’ll make tamales, just to add a little bit of the Mexican culture to the American thanksgiving. And, because there is so much food, most people will over eat.” Even though there are many ways to celebrate this special holiday, it is all about giving thanks and being with family.